Wednesday, May 9, 2012

One Week Down...and only one slip up!!

Last week was a learning lesson to say the least!

The task of not only learning how to be vegan, gluten free AND soy free all in one swoop was quite the undertaking and of course, I am an all-or-nothing kinda girl...you know I jumped in head first.

In all fairness, I have been soy-free for a few years now but I was perplexed at the idea of being vegan without the use of tempeh and various soy products such as my old favorite, Bragg's Aminos. I don't give in easily!

So throughout the week I spent hours on end each day experimenting with different recipes, testing flavors, gluten-free flours and finding countless ways to make beans taste good. Quite the journey, I'd say. Not for the faint of heart or those who are not serious about this level of commitment!

Being a trainer for almost 8 years now, I have seen the one major reason why any "diet" fails is a due to improper planning. Most people say "Oh, I think I want to lose 10 pounds so I just won't eat..." or "I'll switch everything from full sugar to artificial..." or even worse "I want to be a vegetarian so I will just live on cheese and pasta..." and so the yo-yo begins...

Vegan eating is not a light subject. For many people the need for a transition period is crucial! Fortunately for me, I can quite anything cold-turkey, no pun intended, when I make a commitment to do so. It's not about will power it's about self-honoring choices. I honor myself enough to make the change and am committed to give it a chance until I know for a fact it is working or not.

In this choice, I take time to research to make sure I am getting enough protein, ample amounts of iron to prevent my past history of anemia from leering its ugly head, and various other nutrients that Vegans are challenged to get in their daily diet. I mean, if you are not going to go balls to the walls and do it right, why half-ass it?!?!?!

Many years ago I committed to this way of life for about 8 months...well, 8 and a half to be exact. The one thing I struggled with was anemia. And it was bad too!

Every day I found myself taking a 2-3, even four hour nap and struggling to find the energy for my workouts. The major factor in this problem came in my whole grains called Phytic Acid. This acid binds to vitamins such as D and minerals such as Iron which were major contributors to my energetic downfall.

Now I soak brown rice and beans overnight and rinse before cooking them to prevent these toxins from stealing my thunder!

This past weekend was a long one as I was back in school for my three day monthly installment. As I usualy grab an assortment of pot roast, mac n cheese and a chocolate bar, all grounding foods to get me through the energetic curriculum of the day and not on my standard daily list of eats, this time I brought my food the first two days and had a minor slip up on day three.

On the night of day two some of my classmates and I had taken a late night adventure after class to head down to the beach and watch the SuperMoon. A couple of people grabbed a piece of pizza that smelled....soooooooooooooooo good........BUT I didn't eat one bite. I sat and contemplated how life must be for all of those dairy and gluten intolerant people who miss these food items. I felt for them. This eating path for me was a choice not because of any official allergy.

By day three of class all I could think about was a tasty, hot meal.

Due to the beach excursion being so late at night, I didn't make it home. I had crashed in my friend's hotel room and didn't get my clothes until Sunday morning with enough time to shower and race to school.

I rationalized that a bowl of soba noodles with sea veggies and green onions with a kombucha would be safe, until my first bite. Then it dawns on me: soy sauce in the broth and the soba noodles may not be ALL buckwheat. YUCK. Funny because I actually could feel the gluten and soy in my body. Learning to find safe Asian food flavors will be a journey in itself!

On Monday, I was pretty much cut off from the world by choice. It takes me about 1-2 days to recover mentally from a weekend at school and to process all of my learnings so I didn't have a chance to prepare any food for the day. Mom took the opportunity to go in to Whole Foods to purchase some things that appeared safe to bring home for me to experiment with.

On Tuesday morning she was complaining of knee pain so I turned to the foods she brought home to find salt in amounts more than double of what I would use on a regular basis. In addition she purchased a sprouted manna bread that she had a slice of thinking it was safe. Little did she know that three of the 5 grains listed were all containing gluten! The beauty of it is, she feels the gluten making her "puffy" so she know has a good reference to what is really happening in her body when she eats these foods and has a greater desire to avoid them.

I'd say overall, week one was a success. So much to learn and I am taking a crash course for my mom's health! I am looking forward to this week adding to the daily walking with some weights and yoga...my body is calling for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment