Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Week Three on the Books...Going for Four!

**Wrote this last but didn't have time to add links so here goes...**

So last week I had a big challenge in my new Vegan lifestyle...a girls weekend!

Not so hard for those who's girlfriends are vegan too but in this case, mine are not. What's the easiest way to make it easy for me to not stress the small stuff? Plan ahead!

I spent the better part of Wednesday prepping and packing foods that would be easy to eat and grab in-between our outings aka shennigans. lol When I was getting ready in the hotel each morning I would snack on my tasty treats of a lentil loaf pie, lentil-pear salad, fresh berries and celery, gluten-free muffins and various others. This made for great success!! Before the girls would go out to eat, I stocked up on my own foods so I didn't have to find something that fit my restrictions at a restaurant. When I would choose to eat with them, I choose options like a fresh fruit bowl which was a very safe bet.

My mom is doing well in her commitment on the vegan thing. She remains committed and is open to adjustments in the eating as long as she doesn't have to eat any of the complex flavors I have been making (the bean salads, etc.) Her palate is so conditioned for the basic flavors that I am transferring her diet to all raw foods for the next two weeks. She hasn't quite gotten the point the resistance training is NECESSARY for her weight loss so her commitment to early am training with me sometimes gets brushed off in having to go to work early or getting home late at night from a movie...which of course, is not working and her clothes are not fitting as they should. BUT at least she's moving so that's a plus. I'd rather her exercise for health than for vanity at this point so we can focus on getting her cholesterol and blood pressure in check.

It's a process.

As I have now done a ton of research into the ratios of foods I need for training as a vegan I began my intense workouts again today with P90X2. It felt amazing to train with that energy and fire again. Though I must say, there is definitely something to be said about being a vegan and training this way. Can't quite put my finger on it but I do notice a difference in energy! In addition, my body is happy to have more carbs to play with :)

The standard rice, steamed veggies and bland chicken are NO MORE!!! Today my meal consisted of baked yam, lentil-pear salad, fresh spinach, a handful of roasted pistachios and apple juice. Now that's what I call flavor! Plus, I have lost another 2 pounds and am down to 142.5. I am in awe of this weight loss while eating SO many carbs.

Overall I'd say my cravings are still pretty much gone with the exception of something random like a really salty food. Today of all things I had a craving for something I haven't eaten in years and actually grosses me out to think about...fried bologna. The crispy texture on the edges and salty flavor is what my palate seems to want at this time so I will probably be able to find that in a meat substitute if it lasts for longer than today.

This is one journey I am enjoying :)


No comments:

Post a Comment